Call Us: 1300 657 175
Moving Check List
3 weeks before your move
- Ask friends or family for recommendations & organise removalist
- If storage is needed, arrange it start looking around for a price that suits your budget.
- Organise insurance for your goods if going into storage.
- Book time off work if needed.
- De-clutter – for items that you no longer need you might like to consider giving them to charity or speak to your removalist regarding rubbish removal.
- Start collecting packing materials (whether you would like to buy from the removalist company you are using or collect your own) such as boxes (various sizes), tape, newspaper, bubble wrap & marking pens.
- Start notifying companies/suppliers of your change of address (bank, ATO, Vic Roads, Health Funds, and AEC etc.)
2 weeks before your move
- Start packing items that are non-essential & clothing you don’t need. (be sure to list those items on the outside of the box)
- Arrange disconnection & reconnection with your gas/electricity company, telephone, internet and etc.
- If necessary ask a friend or family member to mind the kids on moving day.
- Update all insurance policies.
- Start cleaning your home – (consider hiring a cleaner if it fits within budget to give you ease of mind.
1 week before your move
- Arrange for re-direction of mail with Australia Post.
- Cancel any home deliveries (newspaper and etc.)
- When you finish packing make sure all boxes are labelled with contents & rooms.
On moving day If moving yourself
- Check box labels so you are aware of what you are lifting.
- Be careful when lifting boxes always bend your knees first.
- Watch out for hazards that may get in your way when moving boxes/furniture.
Last minute moving hints
- Make a box you’ll need immediately in your new home, such as a change of clothes, cleaning products, toilet paper, soap & towels.
- Pack another box with kitchen essentials suck as kettle, cutlery, mugs, tea, coffee & snacks
- When moving get an early start.
- Check off furniture/boxes as they go into the truck/van.
- Turn off electricity at the meter.
- Check all doors and windows are locked as you leave.
- Make sure you have all valuables & important papers with you.
At the new home
- Check all items during unloading/unpacking (see if there are any damaged/missing items)
- Check the electricity/gas/telephone have been switched on
- Make beds & clean kitchen for use.
- Find out information from neighbours or call the local council for garbage/recycling collection day.
- Find your local parks, shops, medical centres etc.
- Get your pets familiarised to the new house as quickly as possible.
- If renting tell the landlord about any appliances that are not working